building with homes, a warehouse, and a store, commissioned
by Simón Fernández and Mariano Andrés,
connected with the textile trade and friends of Eusebi
Güell, that recommended Gaudí. He built
the house detached, with an almost rectangular floor
plan and a medievally-inspired look very close to that
of the neighboring Episcopal Palace of Astorga. He made
an effort to overcome historical styles in this building,
seeking to present a modern concept of architecture
and to bring together the utilitarian, building, and
artistic aspects closer to architecture and the local
de Botines has seven levels (half-basement, ground floor
and mezzanine, two more floors, and attics) designated
as warehouse, store, residence of the owners, and apartments
for rent. Outside, the grey stone that comes from the
area stands out, set out in irregular blocks of stone
and irregular rows. At the corners, four circular towers
have the function of rounding the edges of the facades
and letting light enter. Outside, the only sculpture
of the house stands out, located above the main door;
the work of Antoni Cantó and Llorenç Matamala,
it represents Saint George fighting the dragon. The
door is closed by an imposing iron grate presided over
by a lion, an animal evoking the name of the city.
structure of the floors is supported by main walls,
while in the basement there are iron pillars with which
Gaudí achieved a structure free of walls and
optimal for commercial transactions.
building was acquired in 1931 by Caja de Ahorros y Monte
de Piedad of León, and later passed on to Caja
España, which between 1994 and 1996 restored
it and established its headquarters there.
of Cultural Interest since 1969.
Part of the Route of Santiago since 1999.