1886, a fire totally destroyed the residence of Joan
Baptista Grau, the Bishop of the diocese of Astorga,
in the northwest of Spain. As a result, he commissioned
Gaudí a new building.
Gaudí visited the site on several occasions between
1890 and 1893, and modified some parts as they were
being built. In 1893, Bishop Grau died and due to some
discrepancies between the canons and the Diocesan Board,
building was delayed, and finally stopped, which led
to Gaudís resignation. Ricardo García
Guereta finished it in 1907.
Episcopal Palace is built in a particular Gothic style,
and has four levels (half-basement, ground floor, mezzanine,
and attics). The ground floor included the vestibule
and a central chamber with vaults with pointed arches
made of bricks laid flat and with ribbing, which is
the predominant type of vault throughout the building.
The mezzanine holds the chapel, the throne room, the
dining room, the bishops private quarters, and
several apartments for guests. In the attic are the
restrooms and the library.
Outside, the porch of the entry stands out, along with
the sober stone walls, the multiple windows, the circular
towers, and the cavity that lets light into the basement.
Its Museo de los Caminos (Museum of Paths) as
Item of Cultural Interest since 1969.
Forms a part of the Route of Santiago since 1999.