Tower of Bellesguard is a detached, single-family dwelling,
built in the neighborhood of Sant Gervasi. The building
was commissioned by Maria Sagués and Gaudí
designed it to stand alone, with a marked cubical volume
and a slender angular tower. The house took the name
Bellesguard because it was built on the ruins of a residence
of the Catalan monarchy with the same name.
is structured in five levels (half-basement, ground
floor and first floor, and two attics, the second being
a loft); in the interior, with a rich atmosphere, he
applied original building and structural solutions.
The staircase stands out, which is lit by a stained-glass
window of intense colors, which juts out in a sort of
star shape towards the exterior and the roof, structurally
resolved with the two levels of the attics, one for
support and the other to top it off.
the building is made entirely of brick, Gaudí
covered the exterior with slate from the area, thus
maintaining a dialogue with the nature of the surroundings.
The tower that tops off the house comes to a needle
point, covered in glazed tiles with the colors of the
Catalan flag, reminding one, despite the passing of
time, of the noble origins of the property.
building the house, Gaudí changed the course
of an old path that crossed the property. The change
in the course, made between 1903 and 1905, resulted
in a semi-viaduct of brick and stone, known as the porches
of Bellesguard, is partially visible from the street,
while the house, surrounded by gardens, remains a private
declared Cultural Item of National Interest since 1969.