scholastic establishment (convent, school, and boarding
school) promoted by the religious community of Santa
Teresa and built in the northern part of the city. Construction
was begun at the end of 1888 by an architect whose name
is unknown, and shortly later the project was passed
on to Gaudí, when the building up to the second
floor was already built. Although this imposed the floor
plan on him, with a rectangular and very elongated shape,
Gaudí was able to finish construction in a little
less than a year, having first substantially altered
the old plan.
resulting building has four levels (a ground floor and
three other floors) conceived of as three longitudinal
corridors, the central one of which was destined as
a skylight. With this system, Gaudí let light
in all the way from the top floor to the ground floor,
so that sunlight lit all of the rooms.
Both in the exterior and the interior he used the parabolic
arc, which stands out in the corridors that support
the interior patios and which configure spaces with
magnificent architectural, aesthetic, and lighting resolution.
The materials used were stone and brick, low-cost and
sober, contrasting with the elaborate wrought iron and
Col·legi de les Teresianes continues to operate
as a school, a large part of the grounds that surrounded
it disappeared during the construction of the Barcelona
beltway. This was a large garden designed by Gaudí
according to his particular naturalistic way of conceiving
of spaces, where there were palm trees and pines planted
along the sides of paths with stone benches.
Item of National Interest since 1969.