well-known and popular Park Güell was never conceived
of as a park, but rather as a private residencial city,
according to the Anglo-saxon taste for garden
cities (hence the English word PARK inscribed
in the main entrance).
Commissioned by Eusebi Güell, Gaudí did
the urban development of these 15 hectares of land in
the neighborhood Salut de Gràcia, in the northern
part of Barcelona, in an area called Muntanya
Pelada, which is very rocky and uneven.
The architect thought of all the services necessary
for the whole, and designed sixty lots with gardens,
as well as building viaducts, public squares and streets,
enclosing walls, and entry pavilions, as well as an
entry stairway and the Sala Hipòstila for a covered
market (the rainwater gathered on the upper square runs
down the columns, and it is channelled and stored in
a tank underneath, to be used later to water the gardens).
Above, the wide main square is enclosed by a bench-railing
that snakes around, covered by ceramic trencadís
in multiple colors.
stands out in the construction is the integration between
the architecture and nature, which are always in harmony.
Thus, for example, Gaudí respected the natural
unevenness of the ground, which he solved with prefabricated
viaducts, made from brick pillars covered with stone
obtained from excavations. He also took care with the
vegetation, preserving the original greenery and planting,
among other things, carob and palm trees, wisteria,
this vast project, Gaudí relied on the collaboration
of the architects Joan Rubió, Francesc Berenguer,
and Josep Maria Jujol, the builders Agustí Massip,
Josep Pardo, and Julià Bardier, the sculptor
Llorenç Matamala, and the ceramics of the reputable
factory Hijo de Jaime Pujol y Bausis of Esplugues de
Llobregat, among others.
initial expectations, the real estate project was frustrated
in the end and only two of the sixty houses foreseen
were actually built: Casa Trias (Juli Batllevell, 1903)
and the model home (Francesc Berenguer, 1902), currently
known as Casa Museu Gaudí. Although the latter
was put on sale as soon as it was finished, in 1906
it still had no owner, which led Gaudí to buy
it and establish himself there until he went to live
at the Sagrada Família. Next to these two houses,
a third, already existing one, Casa Larrard, was Güells
residence, where he died in 1918. Then, as the commercial
objective of the garden city had not been achieved and
the real estate operation had been a failure, the heirs
decided to sell the park to the Barcelona City Hall,
which opened it to the public in 1923.
Item of National Interest since 1969.