is a provisional scholastic building commissioned by the
Construction Board of the Sagrada Família, built
right next to the temple. A single floor, the architect
divided the interior into three spaces to separate the
students in classrooms, which is why the name is in plural.
small building is relatively unknown, even though it
is one of the most radical of Gaudís works.
Its particularity is defined by the undulation of the
walls and roof, achieved through the application of
the geometry of quadric surfaces. Their sinuousness
makes them very sturdy, allowing the opening of various
doors and windows in the walls and for rain water to
drain easily off of the roof.
to its provisional nature, Gaudí built easily,
quickly, and economically; for this reason he used brick
as a building material and he was able to raise the
schools easily in little time and at little cost. For
this construction, he had the collaboration of the architect
Francesc Berenguer, who was helping him at the time
with the construction work on the temple.
architectural solution of the schools has interested
many architects, such as Le Corbusier, who discovered
it in 1928 during a visit to Barcelona.
the building was destroyed in 1936, it was rebuilt by
Domenec Sugrañes, and then again destroyed in
1939, to be rebuilt again finally by Francesc de Paula
Quintana. For many years it has housed part of the building
direction of the Sagrada Família.