GÜELL CELLARS (1895-1901)


CRITICAL COMMENTARY


Cellars for the production and conservation of the wine produced by Eusebi Güell on the coast of the Garraf (Sitges), south of Barcelona. Although Gaudí signed the plans, the works have often been attributed to his assistant Francesc Berenguer, who significantly took part in these.
The Güell Cellars have two buildings: the porter's lodge and the cellar itself. The cellar has a rectangular plan and a body with a pyramid section outlined by the way in which the walls become the roof. There are three levels: the ground floor, destined to be the garage and cellar; the first floor, the house of the owner; and the second floor destined to be the chapel and viewpoint with views over the massif of the Garraf and over the Mediterranean sea. The abundant use of the parabolic arch and of those specially designed elements, such as a slender bell tower, chimneys with a naturalist finish and the inclusion of the anagram "G" for Güell engraved on the stone of the façade. The building is built with the local stone, in perfect harmony with the rocky landscape of the surrounding area.
The porter's lodge is a small construction, built in brick and stone, with an interesting viewpoint over the entrance door. This entrance is closed by an iron door with a mesh in the same material, reminiscent of fishermen's nets.
The Güell Cellars were used for this function during several years; they then changed owner and are nowadays a restoration establishment.
     
1889 1890 1891 1892 1893 1894 1895 1896 1897 1898 1899 1900 1901 1902 1903 1904
Print
Introduction
Technical credits
Critical commentary
Pannoramic
Images
How to go there