At the beginning of the 20th century, Eusebi Güell
established in Clot del Moro (Castellar de n'Hug) the
Compañía General de Cementos y Asfaltos
- ASLAND, the first Portland cement factory in Spain.
The company became one of the most prosperous and best
equipped technically of its time, fact that generated
a great influx of workers in that area of the Pyrenees.
The factory was built by Rafael Guastavino (1901-1904)
and different services were created for the accommodation
of the workers but also for the material supply.
The coal for the furnaces of the factory came from a
mine in the nearby Catllaràs Massif, so Güell
commissioned Gaudí a building for its engineers
and professionals. The project consisted in a chalet,
the walls of which form a continuous ogive joining façades
and roof. The access to the inside is gained by a semicircular
staircase, which today is no longer there. The shape
of the windows, protruding outside, reminds those of
the loft of the Casa Milà. The building, known
today as the Catllaràs Chalet, was considerably
modified when it became a youth hostel.