At the beginning of the 20th century, Eusebi Güell installed the Compañia General de Cementos y Asfaltos – ASLAND, in Clot del Moro (Castellar de N’Hug), where it became the first portland cement factory in Spain.

The coal for the factory furnaces came from a mine in neighboring Serra de Catllaràs, so Güell commissioned Gaudí to build a building for lodging his engineers and technicians. The project consisted of a chalet, the walls of which form a continuous pointed arch that joins the facades and the roof. The inside was accessed through a semicircular staircase, which is no longer there. The building, known today as the Catllaràs Chalet, was later modified considerably.

When Joan Artigas, the owner of a textile factory, found out about Gaudí’s arrival in La Pobla de Lillet, he invited him to plan a garden on his property. Gaudí accepted the offer and did the landscaping of the area, respecting the underground springs, the nature, and the greatly uneven ground, which he took advantage of to make paths, a bridge, fountains, stairs, and an arbour as a lookout over the garden.

In 1939, the Spanish Civil War obligated the owners to move away, leaving the gardens abandoned and completely unseen. Rediscovered in 1989, Reial Càtedra Gaudí did some research and began a restoration project in 1991 that has allowed its recovery.

   
1896 1897 1898 1899 1900 1901 1902 1903 1904 1905 1906 1907 1908 1909 1910 1911 1912
print
introduction
technical credits
critical commentary
panoramic
images
images