the beginning of the 20th century, Eusebi Güell installed
the Compañia General de Cementos y Asfaltos
ASLAND, in Clot del Moro (Castellar de NHug), where
it became the first portland cement factory in Spain.
coal for the factory furnaces came from a mine in neighboring
Serra de Catllaràs, so Güell commissioned
Gaudí to build a building for lodging his engineers
and technicians. The project consisted of a chalet,
the walls of which form a continuous pointed arch that
joins the facades and the roof. The inside was accessed
through a semicircular staircase, which is no longer
there. The building, known today as the Catllaràs
Chalet, was later modified considerably.
Joan Artigas, the owner of a textile factory, found
out about Gaudís arrival in La Pobla de
Lillet, he invited him to plan a garden on his property.
Gaudí accepted the offer and did the landscaping
of the area, respecting the underground springs, the
nature, and the greatly uneven ground, which he took
advantage of to make paths, a bridge, fountains, stairs,
and an arbour as a lookout over the garden.
1939, the Spanish Civil War obligated the owners to
move away, leaving the gardens abandoned and completely
unseen. Rediscovered in 1989, Reial Càtedra Gaudí
did some research and began a restoration project in
1991 that has allowed its recovery.